Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Reflections on my Story

As I read the cultural autobiographies in the book, I realized that my early life was sheltered in an all Black environment where my primary exposure to other races was from the media, radio or television or what I read in books, newspapers or other periodicals. In the 1950's, though New Orleans was racially segregated, it was also more than 50% Black. I attended all Black schools in all Black neighborhoods, with all Black teachers and Principals. Because my parents had choices, we kids never went to segregated movie theaters or purchased  food from the "colored only" window. We had many Black owned businesses. I attended Black owned movie theaters and we dined at Black owned restaurants, some that are today internationally famous- "Dookey Chase" a case in point.

Xavier University was six blocks from my house, so when it was time to go to college, I walked. I wasn't in a bubble so I knew racism was real and that there were places I was not allowed . I knew it was wrong and actively participated in sit-ins as a member of the NAACP Youth Council.

What I reflect on most is that with those southern whites who objected to the mixing of the races you knew exactly where you stood, which is why I was taken by surprise at the subtle forms of racism I encountered when I moved to California. Most people were very friendly but the racism was covert and hidden between the lines.    

1 comment:

  1. In talking with you, Kathie, your perspective is unique and important. What it shows is that money is less important than culture, especially when it comes to education. You have shared the fact that although many of your peers were quite poor, and your school was even located within the "projects" they all went on to college and successful careers. I believe this is a direct reflection on the culture of your community. If we can foster culture in all of our communities we can turn around education and society.

    ReplyDelete